Lostwithiel YFC tractor run John O'Groats to Lands End
Tuesday 14th January 2014
On 12th April 2014, Lostwithiel Young Farmers Club will be embarking on a tractor run with two classic tractors - a Case 2290 and a Fiat 1300 Super - from John O’Groats to Lands End in a bid to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
Lostwithiel YFC are a small club and 12 of their members will drive the two tractors in relay over the course of a week, visiting as many towns as possible as they travel the length of the UK.
It all started with two brothers from the club, Josh and Callum Stephens, and their grandparents Alan and Jennifer Stephens, moved to farm in Scotland 25 years ago. Alan and Jennifer have now retired from farming and gave the boys the two classic tractors. The club then came up with the plan to bring the tractors to their family farm near Lostwithiel and raise money for Cancer Research UK on the way.
Lostwithiel club members have just been to Scotland to look over the tractors, which have not been used for a couple of years. The Case 2290 started first time (with a new battery) and all the lights worked, so after a change of fuel and oil filters it was good to go. The Fiat 1300 Super was a bit harder - it started first time too but some lights did not work. After playing with the wiring and changing the oil and fuel filters, it was ready to go too. Both tractors have been given a wash and are now ready for the road.
The planned route is:
- Saturday 12th April John O'Groats to Dingwall
- Sunday 13th Dingwall to Tyndrum
- Monday 14th Tyndrum to Thornhill
- Tuesday 15th Thornhill to Longtown (market day) to Kirkby Stephen
- Wednesday 16th Kirkby Stephens to Little Hayfield
- Thursday 17th Little Hayfield to Kenilworth NFYFC Head Office
- Friday 18th Kenilworth NFYFC Head Office to Ilminster
- Saturday 19th Ilminster to Lostwithiel
- Sunday 20th Lostwithiel to Land's End
The photos show the two tractors and grandad Alan Stephens and his grandsons Josh Stephens and Callum Stephens (Josh is the bigger one).
Follow their progress on Facebook Lostwithiel YFC Tractor run.